Recipe by looneytunesfan
Layers of nutty, brown sugar streusel with chocolate chips and coffee set this coffee cake on a pedestal.
Top Review by Lynne the Pirate Queen
This was a huge hit with my fiance and our guests tonight. Even I really enjoyed it, and I don't even like the flavor of coffee! ;) It was very easy to prepare, and the end result was an impressive-looking, pretty coffee cake that had just the right balance of coffee and chocolate flavors. Just for variety, I think I may try making this sometime without the coffee, and adding in some shredded coconut; I bet it would be just as wonderful! Thanks for sharing this great addition to my recipe collection.
- 2⁄3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 3⁄4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F Spray 10-inch angel food (tube) cake pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix all streusel ingredients; set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix 2 3/4 cups flour, the baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat granulated sugar and butter with electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl constantly, until light and fluffy. Beat in almond extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of the flour mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in sour cream until well blended. Beat in remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon half of the batter into pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle with half of the streusel. Top with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool upright in pan on cooling rack 1 hour. Remove cake from pan.