Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This appeared in a recent issue of Cooking Light and quickly caught my attention. Planning to make this soon but thought I would share it with the other coffee lovers on the website.
- 1⁄2 cup ground coffee
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light chocolate syrup (such as Hershey's Lite Syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the cinnamon and nutmeg in with your coffee grounds. Prepare coffee using 5 cups of water as you normallty would would with your coffee maker.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, sugar and chocolate syrup. Cook over low heat, stirring often and making sure the milk does not actually boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the vanilla and brewed coffee to the milk.
- Pour into cups.
- Serve immediately.
Toni - boy you have a winner here of a coffee drink! I really enjoyed all the flavors of the chocolate and the spices with the coffee. Because of how my coffee pot works I could not add the spices to the grounds so I made my coffee and put the spices in with the milk mixture on the stove. It probably was not as pretty mixing spices that way than brewing it but it still tasted fabulous! Thanks for sharing this gem! Made for the Potluck Tag Game :~)
Made for the *Best of 2008* cookbook game, DH & I enjoyed this treat as dessert coffee last nite. My version was not non-fat as you intended since I used reg milk & choc syrup. I also reversed Prep Steps 1 & 2, made the milk mixture 1st, poured it into my coffeepot & brewed the coffee right into it so it was hot for easy refills. I esp liked the nutmeg & 2 of us drank every last drop! Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)
Another grand coffee treat for me to love. I think that the "secret" to this blending is the brown sugar. It adds a lovely earthy sweetness, I used Splenda brown in 1/2 the ask for amount and used cocoa that I pre mixed with the milk for the chocolate syrup,also to save sugar . I used Vanillin and added it to the brew basket. Was tempted to drop a cinnamon stick into the cup but resisted that impulse this time, lol. Wonderful sipping and dunking coffee. In this case the dunkee's were 2 Butter Pecan Biscotti :D.