Recipe by Tricia Foley
I found this recipe in my mother-in-law's old edition of "Joy of Cooking" We made it for Christmas Eve this year. It is so delicious. Everyone loved it. I have kept the ingredients the same, but have updated the directions a little. Personally I did not add the salt, nutmeg or sweet chocolate. I used the Almond extract as opposed to the rum.
- 7 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 quarts chocolate ice cream
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- freshly grated nutmeg (optional) or grated sweet chocolate (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brew and chill coffee. (I have a 10-cup Mr. Coffee I just used one pot, I didn't measure out 7 Cups).
- Whip the whipping cream until stiff.
- Pour the chilled coffee in a punch bowl.
- Add 1/2 the Ice Cream.
- Mix until the Ice Cream is partly melted.
- Add the Rum OR Almond extract, and salt.
- Fold in the remainder of the ice cream and the whipped cream.
- Serve in tall glasses and garnish with whipped cream sprinkled with nutmeg or chocolate.