Recipe by JenSmith
This is a lovely torte for Valentine's day or any other occasion you can think of for it. It is time consuming to make, and definitely not for a beginning cook, but the results are simply divine! Definitely not diet friendly! From Southern Living, February 1986.
For the torte
- 8 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups ground pecans
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 7 cups softed powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Hearts and Shavings
- 4 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 6 maraschino cherries, halved, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- For the torte:.
- Line the bottom of 4 8-inch round cakepans with waxed paper. Grease and flour the waxed paper and set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and baking powder; beat at hight speed of an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is thick and lemon colored. Combine cocoa and breadcrumbs, and stir ino the yolk mixture. Stir in vanilla; fold in ground pecans.
- Beat egg whties (at room temperature) in a large mixing bowl until stiff peaks form; gently fold 1/4 of eggs whties into yolk mixture. Pour batter evenly itno the prepared pans, spreading top to smooth.
- Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes or until layers spring back when they are lightly touched. Do not overbake! Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then invert onto wire racks, gently peeling off the waxed paper. Let cool completely.
- Make the Mocha-Buttercream Frosting:
- Dissolve instant coffee powder in water; set aside. Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; add coffee mixture and cocoa. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with half-&-half, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Make the Chocolate Hearts and Shavings:.
- Melt the chocolate on topp of a double boiler over hot water. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; pour chocolate onto baking sheet.
- For rippled chocolate hearts, gently shake baking sheet until chocolate is level and about 1/4 inch thick. Let chocolate cool 5-10 minutes. Gently run a metal deocrating comb over chocolate to achieve a rippled effect and to flatten chocolate to about 1/8 inch thickness. Lest stand until chocolate is firm.
- Firmly press a 1-inch heart-shaped cutter into choclate, cutting through chocolate completly. Lift cutter up, and remove cutout by getnly pressing through cutter with a small wooden utensil. (Fingers leave prints). Cut out 12 chocolate hearts.
- Break remainign chocolate into small pieces. Shave edges of chocolate with a vegetable peeler, holding chocolate with paper towels so that the heat from your hand doesn't melt the chocolate. Reserve hearts and shavings.
- Frosting the Torte:.
- Measure and set aside 1 1/2 cups Mocha-Buttercream Frosting for piping. Spread remainging frosting between layers and top and sides of torte.
- Spoon reserved frosting inot a large decorating bag fitted with large metal tip No. 5 (star tip). Pipe 12 decorative mounds of frosting evenly around top edges of torte. Fit decorating bag with large metal tip No. 1. Pipe remaining frosting around base of torte ina shell design.
- Gently nestle a chocolate heart at an angle inot each mound of frosting on top of torte; place a maraschino cherry half at base of each on the inside. Sprinkle chocolate shavings in center of torte. Chill until ready to serve.