Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe in "Cooking with Friends" cookbook. The original name is Monkey Lovin' Mocha Mouthfuls.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur (such as Kahlua)
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, plus
- 12 walnut halves
- Grease a 12-cup mini-muffin tin or 6-cup regular muffin tin (or use cupcake-liners), set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in the top of double-boiler or microwave (MED power), stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Cool mixture slightly, then stir in sugar until smooth.
- Whisk in egg, liqueur, espresso powder.
- Gently fold in flour and chopped walnuts (DO NOT OVERMIX).
- Spoon batter into prepared tin; filling each cup about 3/4 full and place a walnut half in center of each cup.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350F) for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean (Note: Baking time is given for mini-cupcakes).
- Cool cupcakes in the tin for 5 minutes before turning them out onto wire rack to cool completely.