Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Sunset Magazine. 1 cup of chocolate chips may be substituted for the chocolate. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add egg yolk and beat until well-blended.
- Combine flour, coffee, baking powder and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture, and beat until well-blended.
- Press into bottom of a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, 15-18 minutes.
- Spread marmalade over warm crust.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, heat chocolate and cream together, stirring often, until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth.
- Spread evenly over marmalade and chill until chocolate is firm to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
I really liked this. I left out the finely ground coffee, personal preference..coffee tastes like burned toast to me...and I used sweet orange marmalade. Thanks Chocalatl for posting!
Just discovered this recipe recently. This is a wonderful combination. Of course loving anything with marmalade helps and chocolate and orange make good partners. This for a difference square to add to my bulging files!
Anice chocolate flavor here, as I did use the semi-sweet chocolate. Easy to make, and did taste the coffee in this, though next time I make these I may increase the amount of coffee.. just a personnal preference. Made for Zaar Stars (24 hr. rule)