Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From the book, Caramel Knowledge
Top Review by swissms
I agree with the other reviewers...the frosting really makes the brownie. The cinnamon cream cheese frosting nicely complements the chocolate flavor of the brownies. I frosted the brownies, cut them into squares, and then refrigerated overnight. Next time I will stir chocolate chips into the batter before baking to bump up the chocolate goodness. Thank you Recipe Junkie.
- 4 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- For Brownies:.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Set the mixture asied.
- Beat the eggs.
- Gradually beat in the sugar until the eggs are light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla.
- Stir in the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and coffee powder.
- Stir into the first mixture.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Pour into a greased 9x13" pan.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Cool, frost if you like, then cut into squares.
- For Frosting:.
- Cream together sugar and cream cheese.
- Add the milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- If too thin, firm up with additional confectioner's sugar.
- Frost the brownies after they're cool.