Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the village of Duan Jia Deng in Yunnan Province, China.
Make and share this Mo Gu Mian Tiao Tang (White Wind Mushroom Noodle Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 piece ginger, thinly sliced (2 inches)
- 12 cups cold water
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups boiling water
- 8 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece ginger, minced (3 inches)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 mirliton, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks (chayote squash)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- sambal oelek, for serving
- Heat oil in a 6-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown wings (8 minutes). Add scallions, garlic, ginger and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken falls off the bone, (1 hour). Pour broth through a fine strainer, discard solids and set broth aside.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a large bowl and pour 4 cups boiling water over. Let sit until softened (15 minutes). Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add potatoes and fry until lightly browned and cooked through (10 minutes). Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Add mirlitons to oil and fry until soft (30 seconds). Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of oil and return to medium heat. Add eggs and swirl skillet to make an omelette. Cook, turning once, until just cooked through (2 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board. Roll up omelette like a cigar and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Set aside.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp (14-16 minutes). Add scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until soft (8 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook until liquid is evaporated (6 minutes).
- Add reserved broth and mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook, stirring occasionally until al dente (7 minutes). Stir in soy sauce and vinegar.
- To serve, divide noodle soup among 8 large serving bowls and top each with potatoes, mirliton, and egg strips. Serve with chile paste.