Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from the village of Duan Jia Deng in Yunnan Province, China.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb chicken wings
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 piece ginger, thinly sliced (2 inches)
- 12 cups cold water
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups boiling water
- 8 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece ginger, minced (3 inches)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 mirliton, cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks (chayote squash)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- sambal oelek, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a 6-qt saucepan over medium-high heat. Brown wings (8 minutes). Add scallions, garlic, ginger and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken falls off the bone, (1 hour). Pour broth through a fine strainer, discard solids and set broth aside.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a large bowl and pour 4 cups boiling water over. Let sit until softened (15 minutes). Drain mushrooms, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add potatoes and fry until lightly browned and cooked through (10 minutes). Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Add mirlitons to oil and fry until soft (30 seconds). Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside.
- Drain off all but 2 tbsp of oil and return to medium heat. Add eggs and swirl skillet to make an omelette. Cook, turning once, until just cooked through (2 minutes). Transfer to a cutting board. Roll up omelette like a cigar and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick strips. Set aside.
- Return saucepan to medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring, until crisp (14-16 minutes). Add scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, until soft (8 minutes). Add mushrooms and cook until liquid is evaporated (6 minutes).
- Add reserved broth and mushroom soaking liquid. Bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook, stirring occasionally until al dente (7 minutes). Stir in soy sauce and vinegar.
- To serve, divide noodle soup among 8 large serving bowls and top each with potatoes, mirliton, and egg strips. Serve with chile paste.