Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Delicious Living. This is very versatile. I subbed chopped zucchini for the raisins and it turned out great.
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat groats, rinsed (raw, not toasted)
- 2 tablespoons millet, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats or 3 tablespoons quinoa
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red apple
- 1⁄4 cup chopped almonds (or fav. chopped nuts)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- milk (optional) or yogurt (optional)
- honey, to taste (optional)
- If using quinoa, rinse with the other grains.
- Bring water to a boil in a small pot.
- Add rinsed buckwheat and millet, plus oats (or quinoa), apple, almonds, raisins or dates, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Stir.
- When simmering, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 15 minutes, then turn off heat and let the pot sit, covered, for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in flaxseed and serve, topped with milk or yogurt, if desired.
This is a great recipe. I soak the quinoa in the water for fifteen minutes otherwise it does not get fully cooked. It keeps well in the refrigerator so I make a double or triple batch.
Delicious! I didn't have buckwheat groats, so used a mix of six different rolled grains, oats, and millet. Love the apple and raisins and used walnuts. Thanks for a yummy and healthy breakfast! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.