Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Adjust the amount of sugar based on the berries you are using and what you want the finished product to be served with. I listed the amount I use, but I prefer it on the not too sweet side. Fresh berries would also work, but I would decrease the sugar further.
- 12 ounces frozen mixed berries (or some combination of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons evaporated cane juice (sugar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine all but the lemon juice.
- Bring just to simmer and cook until berries are warm and sugar is dissolved.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve (or line coarse sieve with an old flour sack towel).
- Press as much through as possible, leaving only the seeds behind.
- Stir in the lemon juice and adjust sweetness if desired with additional sugar.
- Can be refrigerated for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
This is delicious! I used it as a base and added some fresh respberries, blueberries, and blackberries and served it with my flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate ganache. Everyone loved it and it was the perfect accent for my cake. Thanks for posting this,Chandra, it's going into my "keeper" file!