Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is my idea of a slushy! A refreshing lemon-enhanced drink, best when frozen to a slush, great in the summertime on the porch! Originally from a June 1984 issue of Bon Apetit magazine. This must be started 2 days (48 hours) before serving. Standing time and freezing time are not included in prep time.
- 8 medium lemons
- 4 cups Bourbon
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- fresh mint sprig (to garnish)
- lemon slice (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Squeeze lemons, reserving rinds.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups juice into a large freezer-proof jar.
- Add bourbon,water and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add lemon rinds.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Squeeze rinds into bourbon mixture, then discard rinds.
- Strain bourbon mixture and return to jar.
- Cover jar and freeze for 24 hours.
- Scoop slush into tall glasses.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lemon slice and serve immediately.