1/1 Photo of Miss Kitty's Organic Skillet Cornbread
We love to have cornbread with our southern dishes and beans soups. Since we're now an organic family, I came up with these substitutions for an organic cornbread prepared the old-fashioned way, in an iron skillet. NOTE: I get most of the dry ingredients listed from Bob's Red Mill, as they are readily available where I shop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 teaspoons organic canola oil
- 2 cups organic grass-fed buttermilk
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 3/4 cups organic cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder (Rumford)
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt, fine ground
- 1 -2 pinch organic turbinado sugar or 1 -2 pinch unbleached cane sugar
- 1Coat bottom and sides of 10-inch cast iron skillet with oil; heat in a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. (Skillet may smoke a bit).
- 2Whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add cornmeal, stirring well to blend.
- 3Stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- 4Pour batter into hot skillet.
- 5Return skillet to oven and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- 6Serve with organic butter.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miss Kitty's Organic Skillet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 43.6
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 566.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 2.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: