Recipe by Insandouts
Lots of flavour and great for leftovers. It is very simple to make. Sauce is also wonderful and unusual.
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 2 fresh green chili peppers, seeded (I used capsicums or bell peppers)
- 1 tablespoon allspice, crushed
- 2 kg leg of lamb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 70 g honey (1/4 cup)
- 125 ml lamb stock (I used chicken stock)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend or process (I lightly processed) onion, mint, rind, peppers and allspice until smooth.
- Using a sharp knife, make 20- 30 mm deep slits all over lamb; poke as much of mixture into slits as possible and spread remaining mixture over lamb (looks messy but is worth it).
- Preheat oven to moderately low- 180°C/360°F.
- Place lamb in baking dish, fat side up and sprinkle salt over lamb.
- Roast lamb, uncovered, in moderately slow oven (180°C) for 1 hour 40 minutes, basting frequently.
- Then remove lamb from dish and set aside in warm place.
- Skim of any excess fat from pan juices in baking dish and discard.
- Add soy sauce, honey and stock, and stir into pan juices.
- Then pour stock mixture into small saucepan and bring to boil, uncovered, until sauce has reduced by half.