Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs 30 mins
This ice cream makes a great ice cream sandwich, using Santa Fe Chocolate Wafers (#121407). from the Ultimate Ice Cream book (Cook time includes overnight chilling and churning times.)
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- creme de menthe
- green food coloring (optional)
- chocolate-mint candy bar, roughly chopped, as desired (I like to go heavy on the 'chips')
- Heat cream until just beginning to bubble around edges.
- Immediately remove from heat and add sugar, stirring until completely dissolved.
- Once cooled to room temp, add the peppermint extract, and a small splash of crème de menthe (be careful not to add to much! If you do, add a little cream or milk into the mixture.).
- If desired, add enough food colouring to give this a delightfully retro, min-green hue.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- You can chill it for just a few hours until very cold, but it the texture is superior if allowed to chill overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and freeze; when partially set, pour in the chocolate-mint pieces.