Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a creamy sauce used to decorate dessert plates, or as a side sauce. Especially good to dress up a chocolatey dessert.
- 1 -3 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- Place egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and salt in a medium size metal or other heatproof bowl.
- Whisk together until well blended.
- Heat heavy cream, milk and 1 Tbls mint leaves in a medium size saucepan over medium heat until it JUST begins to simmer.
- (taste for mint flavor, and add more mint if needed; may take up to 3 tbls depending on strength of flavor desired) Temper the egg mixture by slowly whisking in about 1/3 of the hot cream mixture, adding it in a thin stream while whisking vigorously to avoid cooking the eggs.
- Then slowly add the egg/cream mixture back into the remainder of the heated cream, whisking to blend.
- Heat mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the anglaise coats the back of the spatula (just at 180F, but be very careful not to exceed 180F or mixture will curdle).
- Partially immerse pot in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Strain through a chinacap to remove most of the mint leaves.
- Chill immediately.