Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These scrumptious muffins were attributed to country music's grand lady in the cookbook, Calling All Cooks 4. Originally contributed by Phoebe Arthur of Gadsden, AL to the fourth edition of Alabama's Telephone Pioneers of America cookbooks.
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-bran cereal
- Combine 1 cup cereal and boiling water in a medium bowl.
- Let stand until cool.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and sugar together into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs and buttermilk together.
- Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Stir in the remaining 2 cups cereal.
- Add the moist cereal mixture and mix well.
- Note:I added 6 oz.
- Craisins to the batter, at this point, for extra taste and nutrition.
- Spoon batter into greased muffin cups, about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Store extra batter in a covered container in the refrigerator.
These muffins came out great. I cut down on 1/2 cup of the sugar and added a big spoonful of honey instead and some rasins. They were very moist for a bran muffin