Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cute tidbits were served one evening to our administrators who have worked so hard. We fixed up the conference room with "happy" colors and we all enjoyed ourselves. Mind you, this was at 8:00pm and they had arrived at 7:00am. The Corn Cakes tasted awesome - with all those wonderful ingredients, how can they be bad? Food Network, recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagassee, 2000 edition. :) The recipe calls for Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning Recipezaar by buzzsau's Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning or Dib's Bayou Blast Creole Essence / Bayou Blast ;)
FOR THE CORN CAKES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn (from 1 medium-size ear)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup masa harina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning (Bayou Blast)
FOR THE SALMON SALAD
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon capers, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon caper juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 ounces house-smoked salmon fillets (skin off)
- fresh ground white pepper
- 7 ounces beluga caviar
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- garnish with chives
- FOR THE CORN CAKES:.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-size saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the corn, shallots, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper and cook, stirring, until the corn and shallots are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from th heat.
- Combine the eggs and cream in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend well. Add the cornmeal, flour, masa harina, baking powder, cayenne, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the water.
- Mix well. Fold in the corn-and-shallot mixture.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, but not smoking, gently place the batter, 1 tablespoon at a time, into the pan.
- You can cook about 8 cakes at a time. Cook until the cakes are lightly golden on both sides, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat until all of the oil and the batter are used up.
- Drain the cakes on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with the Creole seasoning (Bayou Blast)
- FOR THE SALMON SALAD:.
- In a mixing bowl, flake the salmon into small pieces.
- Chop the eggs and add to the salmon.
- Add the capers and caper juice. Mix well. Stir in enough mayonnaise to desired consistency. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- TO ASSEMBLE:.
- Spread a tablespoon of the salmon salad over each corncake.
- Place on a large platter.
- Top the salmon with the caviar.
- Garnish with chives.