Recipe by pink cook
I found this excellent recipe in Chris Jordan's Blog - (See notes from Chris) Hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Shayla M.
The recipe is kind of bland. FAR too many bread crumbs for this amount (I knew it when I poured them and left them in any way). The meatloaves came out very bready. The bacon flavor didn't permeate them, either. I think it would be better to just cut up cooked bacon and put it inside the meatloaves. Not a bad base, but needs improvement and some skill in seasoning.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs (Chris uses 1 tablespoon cornstarch instead of the eggs due to allergies)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (Chris uses gluten free bread crumbs)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 12 slices bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix the meat with onion, garlic, ground black pepper, taco seasoning mix, ketchup, Worcestershire and beaten eggs.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well. (You will need to use your hands and knead it up well). Roll the meat into 12 mini-loaves that fit into your mini-loaves baking pan, (or use a shallow baking tray with a rack to drain the grease from the bacon).
- MY NOTE: I partially cooked the bacon slices separately in a skillet and drained all the excess of fat, (or add the bacon cut in pieces into the meat, if you prefer).
- Bake the mini loaves in a 350ºF. pre-heated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes until they are well cooked from the center and bacon slices look crispy and attached around the loaves.
- Serve with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes, if like.
- Note: Chris says: "It is sort of like a tiny self contained bacon burger".
- And thanks to the reviewers for their good suggestions to improve this recipe.