Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from recipe by Gino D'Acampo (BBC UK). Examples of cooking apples are Cortland, Granny Smith, Braeburn, Macoun, Empire and Rome.
- 3 lbs cooking apples, peeled,cored and roughly sliced (1.4kg)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces brown sugar (100g)
- 3 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 ounces caster sugar (100g)
- 7 ounces unsalted butter, softened (200g)
- 7 ounces ground almonds (200g)
- sliced almonds, for decoration
- Combine the apples and brown sugar in a large pan and cook over a low heat until soft.
- Beat eggs together with the caster sugar in a large bowl, then mix in the butter and ground almonds to create a smooth paste.
- Divide the cooked apples between six ramekins and spread the almond paste on top.
- Sprinkle some sliced almonds on top of each and and bake in a preheated oven at 160C/320F for about 50 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot with whipped cream or ice cream.