Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled
- 8 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mincemeat
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- Combine flour, granulated sugar and salt in large bowl; set aside.
- Cut butter into 1-inch chunks.
- Add butter and shortening to flour mixture.
- Cut in with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle buttermilk over top; toss just until mixture comes together to form ball.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured work surface; fold in half and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Knead about 8 times.
- Divide dough in half; press each half into 1/2-inch-thick disc.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside.
- Let dough rest at room temperature 10 minutes.
- Roll 1 dough disc into 8X12-inch rectangle on lightly floured work surface.
- Cut into 24 (3-inch) squares.
- Place heaping 1/2 teaspoon mincemeat in center of each square.
- Fold opposite corners each about 2/3 of the way over filling, overlapping dough corners.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove cookies or wire racks; cool completely.
- Sprinkle pastries lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.