Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a three-layer chocolate cake that is yummy. It has a whipped cream filling and a butter frosting on the top and sides. What a wonderful combination. You may use my Butter Frosting (1 1/2 batches to make the 4 cups) or your own.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups butter frosting (of your choice)
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat on high speed till light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9" pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or till done.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans; cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl beat the whipping till stiff peaks form; beat in confectioners sugar; add vanilla.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the whipped cream filling.
- Repeat and then place the top layer on.
- Frost top and sides of cake with butter frosting.
- Store in refrigerator because of the whipped cream.