1/7 Photos of Millionaires Shortbread - Chocolate, Ginger and Caramel Slices
1 hr 10 mins
French Tart's Note:
My Mum used to make these for School fetes and Church bazaars - they are absolutely sinful and totally divine! They were everyone's favourite, so I used to zoom around beforehand, with my pocket money burning a hole in my pocket, to make sure I bought some before they all went!! A fun name with delicious layers of shortbread, caramel and a chocolate topping. This recipe has the added surprise of adding stem ginger pieces, which was not usual in my Mum's orginal recipe. These do keep for up to a week in an airtight tin or container.....I have never known them last more then 24 hours however - you WILL have to HIDE them!!! They a great for packed lunches and picnics, as well as with afternoon coffee.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the base
- 225 g butter shortbread cookies
- 125 g butter, melted
For the filling
- 150 g butter
- 150 g soft brown sugar
- 397 g carnation condensed milk
- 75 g stem ginger in syrup, drained and chopped (optional)
For the topping
- 115 g dark chocolate, melted
- 115 g milk chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1You will need:.
- 2A square baking tin, 20cm (8”), greased and base-lined with baking parchment or paper.
- 3To make the base, process the biscuits until they are like crumbs then stir in the melted butter. Spoon this mixture into the tin and, very lightly, press to make an even layer. Chill for 20 minutes.
- 4Place the butter and the sugar in a nonstick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and bring gently to the boil, stirring continuously to make a golden caramel, which is thick and yet still coats the back of a spoon.
- 5Spoon the caramel over the crumb base, cover and leave to to cool for 20 to 30 minutes or until the caramel has thickened.
- 6Sprinkle the chopped ginger over the caramel base if using. Stir 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil into each bowl of melted chocolate. Pour the dark chocolate over the caramel, spreading it out to the edges. Repeat with the milk chocolate, then swirl them slightly to create a pattern.
- 7Leave aside to set. When the chocolate has hardened a little, but before it has set hard, cut into slices, and enjoy with a cup of coffee.
- 8Hide the remaining slices from all other family members and friends!
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Millionaires Shortbread - Chocolate, Ginger and Caramel Slices
Serving Size: 1 (1286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.7
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 205.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 28.5 g
- Protein 4.5 g