Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I feed my 8 parrots millet all the time. Who knew I could eat it too? You can buy Millet at your favorite health food store. 3 points per serving for Weight Watchers. This recipe is core.
- 1 cup millet
- 5 cups stock, plus
- 1 tablespoon stock
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen vegetables
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 cups of stock to boiling over high heat.
- Add millet.
- Reduce heat to lo. Cook, covered, until millet is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 25-30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of stock.
- Add scallions, onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until soft about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups stock and tomato paste.
- Add vegetables.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper, cooked millet and parsley.
- Cook 5 minutes longer.
Threw everything into my crock pot this morning, adding the entire jar of tomato paste and a few extra frozen veggies with enough broth to fill the pot. The resulting soup was thick and creamy from the cooked millet, which takes on the taste of the rest of the dish. Served with sweet cornbread for a complete meal that even my 14yo DS enjoyed. Makes a ton, probably 6-8 servings - looking forward to the leftovers.