This recipe won the $10,000 Grand Prize in the 10th annual Quaker Oats competition. These cookies are indulgent, comfy and chewy-crisp. Including the coffee keeps them from being overly sweet but leave it out if you like. Kids have fun forming these by hand.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 T hot water (If desired coffee can be eliminated, substitute 1 T milk for the hot water)
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups Quaker Oats, uncooked (quick or old fashioned, for old fashioned oats, add 2T additional flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- Beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Add coffee if using or milk substitute and mix well.
- Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well.
- Stir in oats (and extra flour if using old fashioned), chocolate chips and walnuts.
- To shape cookies, flatten 1 heaping Tbsp of dough in palm of hand.
- Arrange 4 marshmallows in center; wrap dough around marshmallows to cover completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough and marshmallows.
- Space cookies 2" apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- (Do not overbake; centers of cookies should still be soft.) Let stand 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
They came out very thick and dry. It might have been the wholesome oats I used. They did not taste too good fresh of the oven. Maybe they might tastes better in the morning.
These cookies were great! Mine didn't really flatten out, so they were pretty interesting looking. They got great reviews at work!
um... really sweet and good. But it was hard to wrap the marshmallow into the dough. really tasty!