Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Easy and delicious...and you don't have to turn on the stove. My sister, Katy, gave me this one. Note: cooking time is freezing time for the pie.
- 2 egg whites
- 10 ounces frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 graham cracker crust
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, strawberries, lemon juice, and sugar for 20 minutes (that's not a typo; it really takes 20 minutes!). It will resemble meringue when ready.
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Put in the prepared crust.
- Freeze for several hours.
Loved this recipe but have seen it with real whipped cream as well. I tried a little heavy cream, vanilla -- and you may need cream of tartar to stabilize but this is a great, crowd-pleasing pie. Excited to try the base with other pie flavors as well...Key Lime or maybe Chocolate Mint?
I actually have been making this recipe for years. I use whipped cream instead of whipped topping, but I will try this way next time. Super recipe and a counter top mixer is a life saver. I made it for years with a hand held mixer!!!!