Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I tried this as an experiment. It worked. The wine and tomato juice for acid, the shallot, garlic and spices for flavor, the mushrooms for balance, and the cream of mushroom soup for sauce. I served this over wide egg noodles.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- Slice the shallots.
- Mince the garlic.
- Put all ingredients except mushrooms into crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After 4 hours, add the sliced mushrooms.
- After cooking, I found the sauce a bit soupy, so I had two choices: make a roux and thicken the sauce, or reduce the liquid. I chose reduction. I set the chicken aside and transferred the sauce to a sauce pan. Over low heat, I reduced the liquid for 20 minutes, then re-added the chicken. I let it it simmer for 5 more minutes to re-heat the chicken.
- Serve over egg noodles.
- Lucy said this is delicious, so I'm happy.