Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
SPANISH TAPAS RECIPE: Currently fashionable among the Spanish, this dish is a core recipe among La Cocina Pobre - The Cuisine of the Poor. Spanish comfort foods, cheap and easy to prepare.
- 4 thick slices white bread, crusts removed (homemade style is better than wonder bread style)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 3 1⁄2 ounces serrano ham, thinly sliced and cut into strips
- 2 spanish chorizo, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (Spanish, pimenton)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Cut or tear the bread into small pieces. Heat the 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the bread pieces and toss to coat. Keep stirring until the bread is lightly golden (3-4 minutes). Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same frying pan. Add the onions, garlic and peppers and stir until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the ham, chorizo and paprika and continue to cook on medium high until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Sprinkle with half the bread pieces and stir through. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in a clean frying pan and when hot, crack the 4 eggs into the pan. Scoop hot oil over the eggs so the outer edges become crispy while the inner yolk is still liquidy and soft.
- Remove eggs and drain the oil off.
- To serve, divide the remaining breadcrumb mixture among 4 serving bowls, top with the warm ham mixture and top this with the fried egg.