Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This isn't any old tuna salad sandwich. Filled with hummus (Middle Eastern chickpea dip), sesame oil, cumin and cilantro, this is a tuna salad like you've probably never had before. Pack it in pita pockets along with a slices of tomato and lettuce. I am not a cilantro fan, so I leave it out.
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half to form pockets
- 4 plum tomatoes, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 8 leaves boston lettuce or 8 leaves red leaf lettuce, cleaned and patted dry
- To prepare tuna salad:
- Combine all ingredients except pitas, lettuce, and tomato in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
- Taste and add salt and more cayenne, if desired.
- Salad can be prepared 1 day ahead. To store, cover and refrigerate.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide tuna salad equally and mound in pita pockets. Add several tomatoes slices and a lettuce leaf to each pocket. Arrange sandwiches in a basket or on a serving plate. Serve immediately.
This was so good. I used freshly cooked tuna then mixed into the sauce with the lettuce. Put Chipotle hummus on the freshly made pita and ate it that way. Loved it.
What a nice and different way to serve tuna salad. I made this for lunch today just as the recipe is written. After sampling a bit on pita we decided it could be a littler spicier and added an additional 1/2 teaspoon of cumin and a dash of cayenne. Other than that we thought it was very good and I will make it again the next time I make hummus. The cilantro is a must unless you are one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap! But we love it. Thank you for a new idea for the old tuna salad standby! We got six servings from this recipe.
The hummus was cut back considerably as was the toasted sesame oil which was reduced to 1/4 teaspoon (2 teaspoons is excessive and would completely dominate the sandwich). I added a dollop of hummus to each sandwich instead of stirring it into the tuna. Added cucumbers feta, etc. for better presentation. I had to make too many changes to warrant a star rating but the recipe has potential. Homemade Arabic type bread Reviewed for ZWT 6.