Recipe by Brenda.
This isn't any old tuna salad sandwich. Filled with hummus (Middle Eastern chickpea dip), sesame oil, cumin and cilantro, this is a tuna salad like you've probably never had before. Pack it in pita pockets along with a slices of tomato and lettuce. I am not a cilantro fan, so I leave it out.
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 4 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half to form pockets
- 4 plum tomatoes, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 8 leaves boston lettuce or 8 leaves red leaf lettuce, cleaned and patted dry
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare tuna salad:
- Combine all ingredients except pitas, lettuce, and tomato in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir well to mix.
- Taste and add salt and more cayenne, if desired.
- Salad can be prepared 1 day ahead. To store, cover and refrigerate.
- To assemble sandwiches: Divide tuna salad equally and mound in pita pockets. Add several tomatoes slices and a lettuce leaf to each pocket. Arrange sandwiches in a basket or on a serving plate. Serve immediately.