Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a dish my mother created. It is so easy, fast and always gets rave reviews from dinner guests! It is my favourite side-dish. It goes really well with fish or any other white meat. I have always made this by eye, so the measurements are a rough estimate. (Preperation time excludes steaming of the sweet potatoes.)
- Thickly slice the sweet potato, and place a layer into a round 9" microwave-safe dish.
- Slice the bananas and place the banana slices over the gaps left by the potato.
- Sprinkle the banana and sweet potato with a layer of gingernut crumbs. (Be sure to save some for the other layers.)
- Sprinkle generously with some of the brown sugar.
- Continue to build layers, finishing with gingernuts and sugar.
- Pour enough evaporated milk over the dish to fill all the gaps. Last layer of potato should still be visible above the milk.
- Place into the microwave and cook on high for 5-7 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- VARIATION: Add some mini marshmallows for variation. The dish is sweet enough without them, so reduce sugar if you choose to do so.
This was a great dish! It was very easy, quick and tasted super. We loved the babana in this and although it is very sweet it went well with the roasted chicken and stuffing I made to go with it. Thanks for sharing. Made for PAC Spring 2010.