Recipe by RockCook
This is the Day to Day Cookery version by IM Downes. It is a beautiful cake, arguably better than the oven-baked version.
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 slices canned pineapple
- 9 glace cherries
- 60 g butter or 60 g margarine
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 18cm round dish and place a greased circle of paper in the base.
- For the caramel, cream brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter and spread over base.
- Arrange a slice of pineapple in the centre with half circles around it. Fill spaces with cherries.
- For the cake mixture, beat 60g butter and sugar to a cream. Add egg and mix carefully without beating.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk and mix.
- Pour mixture over caramel and fruit.
- Cook on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) for 6-7 minutes or until just firm in the centre. (I had to put mine on for an extra 2 minutes and 50 seconds, it will vary according to your microwave).
- Allow to stand for 2-3 minutes before turning out onto a plate.
- Serve hot with custard or cream, or warm for morning tea.