Recipe by cathyfood
Simple to make with the texture of english muffins. A real money-saver! Try substituting some whole wheat flour and add a little honey & cinnamon for a change of taste. I've used this recipe for at least 30 years.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Set aside 1 cup flour.
- In a large plastic pitcher or glass bowl, combine remaining flour, sugar, salt, soda and yeast.
- Measure water and milk together in glass measure, and heat in microwave until warm, approximately 110 - 120 degrees F.
- Add liquids to flour in bowl. Beat well. Stir in reserved flour to make a stiff batter.
- Prepare a glass loaf pan: grease generously and sprinkle with cornmeal. Spoon batter into the pan, sprinkle top with cornmeal. Cover with waxed paper.
- Cook in the microwave 1 minute at 50% power, then rest 10 minutes.
- Repeat twice more.
- Bake in microwave 6 ½ minutes at 100% power. Rest 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan to rack, cool completely.
- Slice and toast, and serve with butter and jam.