Prep 2 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is a great side dish which is a staple in South African homes. It is a quick and easy substitute for mashed potatoes, and is great with barbequed meat - braaivleis. Sheba is a rich tomato gravy which is great over the pap and freezes well. One recipe is usually good for two or three recipes of pap.
- 1 cup cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 (14 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces onions, chopped (1 cm by 1 cm pieces)
- 8 ounces green peppers, chopped (1 cm by 1 cm pieces)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, cubes or tsps
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and pepper
- parsley, dried or fresh to taste
- Add boiling water, creamed corn, salt and margarine to casserole dish. Add cornmeal and stir. Cook in microwave for 2 minutes, stir. Cook for around 6 to 8 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until pap is thick and fluffy. Serve with gravy, sheba, or salsa. Great with barbequed meat.
- To make microwave pap without creamed corn, add an extra cup of boiling water and cook as directed.
- Sauté the onion in a frying pan with oil until soft – make sure heat is not too high, you don’t want the onions to brown. When onion is soft, add green pepper and stir for around 2 minutes – doesn’t have to be completely cooked.
- Add can of tomato paste and also can of diced tomatoes. Then add 3 big cloves of crushed garlic and two cubes of brown sugar and chopped fresh parsley (around 2 tbsps).
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt and 1 ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook over slow heat (simmer) for about 10 minutes. Better the day after it is made.
- Serve over pap.
Awesome, Baie lekker (very nice) I live in Australia now originally from Cape town. Made me feel right back in South Africa... Dankie (Thank you)