This was originally taken from a family circle cookbook for making chicken nuggets. My hubby has adapted it to make these burgers. The flour and breadcrumbs are estimates as you need enough to cover the chicken. This recipe feeds our family of 5 easily and quite often there is enough for two burgers each or left over nuggets for a later snack. The kids enjoy helping mick make these on weekends. The preparation time also includes 30 minutes of refrigeration.
- Slice the chicken approximately 1-2 cm thick.
- Mix the flour and seasoning in a plastic bag and add the chicken. Toss until the chicken is evenly coated with flour. Remove and shake off the excess.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a shallow bowl and put the breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl. working with a few strips at a time dip the chicken in the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan to moderately hot and fry chicken in batches until golden brown. drain on paper towels.
- Layer chicken, mayonnaise, bacon, some lettuce and tomato onto the bread rolls and enjoy.
I'll never buy store bought chicken burgers again, these taste so much better.
We used store bought long rolls, and these were delicious! We made some fried in olive oil in a pan, but we like these better made in the deep fryer. We all love fast food type chicken sandwiches, but these will be made from now on! Thank your husband for this recipe and saving us $$ and a trip to MickyD's! Made for Spring Pick A Chef 09.
We made the recipe as posted, other than using Croissants rather than regular sandwich buns. My teenage son was delighted and said, "These chicken sandwiches makes the ones at fast-food places seem like garbage." With a small side salad, this was a complete and filling dinner.