Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
We find ourselves making this salsa more often than any other. Probably because it's so fast to put together, without the knife work or roasting that is necessary for other salsas, and the flavor doesn't suffer at all for the speed. From the Take-Out Menu Cookbook.
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus more if necessary
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a blender, combine the tomatoes, lime juice, and chiles. Puree until smooth and pour into a bowl.
- Rinse the onion under cold running water in a colander. Add the onion and cilantro to the salsa and season with salt to taste and add more lime juice, if desired. If necessary, thin the salsa with a little water. Let the salsa sit for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Tip: If you can find the fire-roasted type of canned tomatoes (Muir Glen brand), they work beautifully in this recipe.
- Make ahead: The salsa can be made up to the point where the onion and cilantro are added 1 week ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator. Add the onions and cilantro just before serving.