Recipe by Southern Polar Bear
This is a wonderful alternative to the standard chicken sandwich. It is from the April 1999 issue of Bon Appetit.
Top Review by Starrynews
Mmm, so delicious! We loved the blend of flavors - spicy and tangy! I made a few changes based on what I had on hand - whole wheat rolls instead of French and spinach instead of leaf lettuce. I'll definitely be making this again - thank you!
- 158.51 ml mayonnaise
- 29.58 ml fresh lime juice
- 7.39 ml lime zest
- 453.59 g can black beans, drained, 2Tbsp liquid reserved
- 7.39 ml ground cumin
- 4 French rolls, split horizontally, lightly toasted
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3.69 ml cayenne pepper
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 slice monterey jack pepper cheese (1/4 inch slices)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 4 piece leaf lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk mayonnaise, lime juice and lime peel in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir beans and cumin in a small skillet over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add reserved bean liquid.
- Using a fork, mash beans in skillet to course paste.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Arrange French roll bottoms on plates; spread with bean mixture.
- Sprinkle chicken with cayenne pepper and salt.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to skillet and saute until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Top chicken with cheese slices.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Place chicken on bean mixture.
- Top with tomato, avocado, and lettuce.
- Spread lime mayonnaise generously on cut side of each roll top; press onto sandwich.