Recipe by Cookin-jo
The topping on this "pie" is really wonderful. Make it first and let it sit while you prepare the meat filling. Use the jalapeno if you want some heat, or use dried chili flakes.
Top Review by Debbb
The meat mixture was pretty good - not nearly as spicy as I was expecting. We liked the combo of the meat & topping but found the topping to be a little too crunchy - would have liked it to be more cornbread-like.
For the topping
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
For the filling
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell peppers or 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup corn
Directions See How It's Made
- For the topping beat together eggs, buttermilk and butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients until smooth and set aside.
- Brown ground beef with the onions and peppers. Drain off fat and return to the pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Pour into an ungreased 8 by 8 inch baking dish and level off the top.
- Spread topping over the meat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Prep time includes time to simmer the meat mixture.