Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We have probably all had those melted cheese dips that are so popular in Mexican restaurants. This is a much more authentic version yet still simple and yummy. This makes a complete meal that is tasty and FUN! Soyrizo is the Soy based vegetarian version of chorizo. If you have an aversion to cooking with beer you can use some broth in place of the beer. The beer really does impart a special flavor that is unmatched. You could probably use a non-alcoholic beer as well. You could also su the canned chilies and fresh tomatoes with a can of Rotel undrained.
- 1 cup beer, anything but dark beer
- 1⁄2 lb oaxaca cheese, grated or 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb asadero cheese or 1 lb muenster cheese, grated
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped (you can find these in a can- for authentic Mexican use poblano's- you can get these canned too)
- 1⁄4 lb chorizo sausage (optional) or 1⁄4 lb soy chorizo (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- If using sausage: Cook sausage to release as much grease and oil as Drain well on paper towels and crumble or chop sausage. We like to grill the sausage outside and let the grease drip off. Plus you get rewarded with a smokiness!
- Meanwhile, in a microwave safe bowl or the removable crock of a small crock pot, heat beer for about 2 minutes or just to a simmer. Add half the cheese, stir well and microwave 1 minute. Add the rest of the cheese and microwave again until everything has melted completely. Stirring and checking at one minute intervals, of half minute if you have a powerful microwave.
- Add remaining ingredients, including chorizo if using, and return again to microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring after each minute.
- Serve with chips , tortillas, bread or veggies for dipping.