Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the basic meatloaf with a different twist. The use of taco seasoning, picante sauce, and Monterrey Jack cheese gives it a south-of-the-border flair.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 24 saltine crackers
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can vegetable beef soup, in beef broth
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup picante sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Crush the crackers. I use the food processor to get finer crumbs.
- Mix the meat, soup, and egg together with the seasonings.
- Add cracker crumbs until the texture is firm but not dry.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into a loaf pan.
- Bake until almost done.
- Top with picante sauce and Monterrey jack cheese.
- Continue baking until sauce is heated, cheese is melted and meatloaf is done (160°F on the meat thermometer).
- Muffin variation: Divide meatloaf mixture into 6 even portions.
- Press into large size muffin tin that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- If adding a sauce, form a well in the top of each muffin.
- Check baking time carefully, as the smaller size allows the dish to bake more quickly.
- I have found that baking time is reduced to about 35 minutes in this form.
I gave this recipe 4 stars. This recipe got different reviews in my house. My 6 yr old newphew didn't like it, my future hubby said he'd give it 3 1/2 stars and I gave it 4 stars. My future hubby said he could taste the soup and I could really taste the taco seasoning which is what I was looking for. I made a few minor changes to this recipe. First I had 2 pounds of ground beef, I only had Ritz crackers, I only had salsa, and I only had cheddar cheese. I didn't read the recipe fully and mixed my salsa and cheese in the meatloaf. I baked my meatloaf for 1 hour. I pulled it out of the oven and topped it with a thin layer of ketchup. My only complaint was it doesn't say if you crush the vegetables from the soup or not. I did not. Overall this was very good and we will have this again. Thanks for posting a really good recipe. Christine (internetnut)