Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe is from Southern Living magazine. Sounds so delicious.
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp, unpeeled
- 20 skewers (12-inch each, if using wooden skewers, soak in water 1 hour to prevent burning)
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Smoky Sweet Sauce
- 1 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup mango, slices (refrigerated and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, loosely packed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails on; devein, if desired. Thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer; set aside.
- Cook brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan over low heat until melted. Add garlic and next 6 ingredients. Cook 5 minutes or until tamarind paste melts. Remove from heat.
- Brush shrimp with olive oil. Grill, without grill lid, over medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and basting with tamarind glaze. Serve with Smoky Sweet sauce.
- To prepare Smoky Sweet sauce: Process first 5 ingredients in a blender 1 minute. Pour mixture into a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cream, and cook, whisking often, 6 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until melted.