24 hrs 40 mins
I always get the deep fried ice cream at our local restraunt, but Gordo won't share the recipe with me, but I think this one is better...but don't tell Gordo! I found this online I'm not sure where but I have the blurb from where it originated...appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Oct. 6, 1999. I do recommend that you do everything that's needed the day before according to the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 cups corn flakes
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream (about)
- 12 long cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups beer
- 5 1/3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus
- oil, to fry ice cream balls (divided)
- cinnamon sugar (to garnish)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- honey (to garnish)
- deep fried corn tortilla strips, coated with
- cinnamon-sugar mixture (such as Cinnamon Sugar)
- 1Start this dish one day before serving it.
- 2To make ice cream balls, put cornflakes in shallow dish.
- 3Form about 12 ice cream balls with your hands, using 4 to 5 ounces of ice cream.
- 4Each ice cream ball should be about the size of a baseball.
- 5Roll balls in cornflakes until thoroughly coated.
- 6This will provide insulation from the heat. Insert 1 cinnamon stick into each ice cream ball, then place on cookie sheet.
- 7Cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- 8Ice cream must be rock hard in order to prepare this dish.
- 9Open beer and let sit out overnight to become flat.
- 10On the second day, make batter.
- 11Mix flour and sugar in large bowl. In another bowl, combine egg yolks with 1/4 cup oil and 3 cups flattened beer.
- 12Mix well.
- 13In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- 14This is best to do in copper bowl.
- 15Combine beer and flour mixtures; mix until thick dough is formed.
- 16Fold in egg whites.
- 17Batter should be thick, but if it is elastic dribble more flat beer into it and mix until desired consistency is achieved.
- 18If batter is too thin, it won't stay on the ice cream ball.
- 19Batter is good for three days, but may separate.
- 20If it separates prior to use, whisk to desired consistency.
- 21To prepare, put 6 inches of oil in deep fry pan or large pot and heat to 375 degrees. Gently coat ice cream ball with batter, being careful not to pull cinnamon stick out of ball.
- 22When balls are coated, gently drop into oil, one at a time, being careful not to let balls stick to sides of pan or frying basket. Submerge balls completely by holding onto cinnamon stick.
- 23Balls are done when golden brown, about 1 to 11/2 minutes.
- 24As ice cream balls are fried, set each aside to drain on multiple thickness of paper towels until all are done.
- 25Before serving, pour honey over top of each ball, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and pipe whipped cream around the base.
- 26Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
- 27Makes 12 servings.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Deep Fried Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.6
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 224.2 mg
- Sodium 252.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 45.4 g
- Protein 17.2 g