Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
I wanted to post this recipe so I'll remember how I made it. When I write things on paper I can never find it when I want it.. This is so quick., so easy and Sooo delicious. Nuff said !! Be prepared to hear a lot of "Ummmm's" at the dinner table.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth, low salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk (1 soup can full)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 6 corn tortillas, plus
- 5 corn tortillas, for garnish
GARNISH WITH ANY OR ALL OF THESE
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chunky salsa
- diced avocado
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- corn tortilla strips, fried crispy
- Heat the oil in a 5 quart pot and saute the bell pepper and celery for about 5 minutes to soften. Add the ground meat, jalepeno peppers, taco.
- Add the chicken broth. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes then add the creamed corn, cream of chicken soup, milk, green onion and cilantro. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes (more if you want it spicier).
- Place 6 corn tortillas in a stack and cut them into 1/2 to 1 inch squares. When the soup comes back up to a simmer add the cut up tortillas and continue to simmer, covered, until the tortillas are just about totally dissolved in the soup (about 15 minutes) Stir often to keep soup from scorching .
- Serve and enjoy with any or all of the suggested garnishes. If you want a crunchy garnish, stack the extra 5 tortillas and slice them into thin strips and fry them in hot oil for a few minutes until they are starting to turn a shade darker and are nice and crispy. Drain on paper towels. Then just add as much as you want to each serving. Of all the garnishes you will definitely want a spoon of sour cream in each serving.