Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Many Mexican recipes use cinnamon and chocolate as a popular flavor match.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 1 (11 ounce) package pie crust mix
- 2 cups heavy cream or 2 cups whipping cream
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, shortening and coffee in small saucepan.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place pie crust mix in medium mixing bowl and stir in 3/4 cup of the cocoa mixture, blending thoroughly.
- Shape into smooth ball and chill 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Line two cookie sheets with aluminum foil and mark two 8-inch circles on each.
- Place balls of dough on foil and
- press with fingers into marked circles.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until almost set.
- Cool on cookie sheets.
- Add remaining cocoa mixture to cream in small mixer bowl and beat until stiff.
- Place one pastry round on serving plate then spread with a fourth of the whipped cream mixture.
- Repeat layering with remaining three rounds and whipped cream mixture, ending with whipped cream.
- Chill several hours.
- Garnish with Mini Chips.