Spiced Chocolate Applesauce Cake
photo by Jenny Sanders
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, unbleached, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line 2 nine-inch round cake pans with parchment paper, and grease the sides of the pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Beat together the oil and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the vanilla and the applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack.
- Remove from the pans; cool on rack. Ice with frosting as desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to garden, both perennials and vegetables. I am always looking for recipes to fiddle with, especially good simple vegetable dishes. I try to use organic ingredients as much as possible.