- 3⁄4 cup cooked lentils (see note)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (omit if using canned lentils)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Note on using lentils: If using canned lentils, drain first and omit salt; if using dry (my preference is dry red lentils) measure 1/3 cup rinsed lentils into saucepan, add 2/3 cup water and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes (may need to add a small amount of water) cool and measure.
- Mash lentils with a fork in mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, oil, sugars, and vanilla extract to lentils.
- Mix just to combine.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa and cinnamon in separate bowl.
- Add dry mixture and blend until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Pour into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes for easy turn out.
- Dust tops with confectioners sugar.
Very good. These have a rich, brownie cuplike-like taste & texture and a very good flavor. Most of the lentils disappeared into the batter, creating a very moist cupcake/muffin and they looked very nice when dusted with the powdered sugar - although I could easily see these iced with a chocolate frosting. I used dried lentils, following the instructions in step 1 and found that while my lentils were tender after the 20 minutes, they needed far longer time to get soft enough to mash. Next time, I would cook them longer still and puree them in a blender before adding to the muffins.
I'd give these more stars if i could! One of the best muffins I've ever had. I replaced the oil with vanilla yogurt and just chopped up leftover dark chocolate Valentines day hearts for the chips. Used regular dried lentils and added a bit extra cocoa. I just love them! They remind me of brownies. And the Cinnamon really gives them a flavor all their own. Thanks for the recipe!
Another great way to use lentils without the "this is good for you" flavour :). Added an extra tablespoon of cocoa powder and sprinkled a few extra choc chips on top. The lentils really give the muffins a chewy top and soft middle... mmm. I sometimes change the cinnamon for 1 tsp instant coffee powder.