Recipe by Julie B's Hive
From Mexican Cookshelf. Serve the meringues dusted with cinnamon and accompanied by strawberries and chocolate-flavored cream (recipe included). A fiesta in in itself!
Top Review by 2Bleu
Definitely great Mexican flair in this recipe. There was no amount for the grated chocolate, and with the amount of sugar in the batter, it was sweet enough for us, so we used about 1/4 cup cocoa powder. The meringues whipped up nice and fluffy. We placed them on parchment paper and began baking them. After 1 hr and 15 minutes, our noses said they were done (overdone is what they were). The result was actually pretty good though. Remember wafer cookies? (you know, they are rectangular and filled with layers of icing in between?) Well these had those texture. The flavor is very nice. Just watch them when they're cooking, so as not to overbake them. ;)
- 5 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 -7 ounces superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 4 ounces strawberries, to serve
- whipped cream, to serve
- chocolate piece, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the egg whites until they are foamy. Add salt and cream of tartar and beat until very stiff. Whisk in vanilla, then sugar, a small amount at a time, until the meringue is shiny and stiff. This should take just about 3 minutes by hand and under a minute by electric mixer.
- Whisk in the cinnamon and grated chocolate. Spoon mounds, about 2 tablespoons, on to an ungreased nonstick baking sheet. Leave plenty of space between the mounds.
- Place in a preheated oven at 300°. Bake for 3 hours or until set.
- Carefully remove from the baking sheet but if the meringues are too moist and soft, return to the oven to firm up and dry out some more. Allow to cool completely.
- Serve the meringues dusted with cinnamon and accompanied by strawberries and chocolate-flavored cream.
- To make the flavored cream simply stir half-melted chocolate pieces into stiffly whipped cream, chill until solid.