Chocolate Nut Meringues
a variation of meringue cookies
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 7 ounces egg whites
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (I usually use sliced almonds or walnuts) (optional)
- beat egg whites until stiff peaks form in a glass or aluminum bowl.
- fold in sugar and cocoa, mixing well.
- fold in nuts (if using them).
- using a spoon and a spatula place ~2 T lumps of the batter on an un-greased baking sheet. This is key--there must be no fat that touches the batter or else the meringues will collapse.
- bake at 200F for several hours (welcome suggestions on temp and time). I usually bake them for 2+ hours and then let them sit in the oven for several more hours until the insides are not gooey.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We made half batch using 2 egg whites. I dropped the egg whites in a glass pyrex measuring cup, added the sugar and cocoa and then whipped it up with an electric mixer. I used a pastry bag to make 8 meringues and topped each with a sliced almond as Buddha is not fond of nuts. I baked them at 350F for 12 minutes and they came out perfect. They taste just like chocolate marshmallow goodies. Made for PAC fall 08' game.Reply