1 hr 5 mins
This is a chocolate cake with a twist, a nice treat for any dessert lover. Cinnamon and chocolate are the classic flavours in Mexican hot chocolate. You can use dried sour cherries in place of the cranberries.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F (175°C).
- 2Butter and flour a 12-cup (1.5-L) Bundt pan or 9-inch (22.5-cm) angel food cake pan. Melt the butter over moderately low heat, then whisk in cocoa.
- 3Add water and coffee and whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 4Whisk in the sugar, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- 5Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- 6Add the cocoa mixture and whisk until just combined.
- 7Whisk in the cranberries.
- 8Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, 45 - 55 minutes.
- 9Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges with a thin knife and invert onto a plate.
- 10Let cool.
- 11For the glaze, bring the cream to a boil in a small pot.
- 12Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- 13Spoon the glaze over the top of the cake, letting it run down the sides.
- 14Keeps well for 3 days tightly wrapped. Freeze for longer storage.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chocolate Cake With Dried Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.3
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 286.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 42.5 g
- Protein 5.6 g