Recipe by afghanmom
Top Review by Gramma'sgirl
I made this once 2 years ago and finally made it again. My family all enjoyed it even the my hubby isn't fond of mexican dishes. What sells it for all of us is the Cornbread topping. Thanks for the handy recipe... freezes well for work lunches as well.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 -3 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 -3 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) package cornbread mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'. Grease a 13x9 inch glass baking dish.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef and sausage; drain.
- Add corn, pepper, onion, garlic, paprika, cayenne, taco seasoning, tomato sauce, tomatoes, and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased pan. Sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Combine the cornbread mix, milk and egg in a bowl; mix well. Pour evenly over the beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until golden.