Recipe by beckas
I modified a Sloppy Joe recipe until it was to our liking so here is a version that is thick, slightly sweet, slightly tangy, and has a Mexican flair. If you do not like your Sloppy Joes on the sweet side, reduce the amount of brown sugar.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the ground beef, onion, and bell pepper until cooked.
- Drain the fat from the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until incorporated.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about ten minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve over buns.
- For another variation, server over buns and then sprinkle some grated cheese over all. Microwave for about 15 seconds or until the cheese melts.